Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Garlic- does it keep fires away?

I dug these up over the weekend. Got quite alot done but it was strange gardening while bushfires were burning about 5kms north of my house. The sky, particularly since Saturday night, has been full of smoke from backburning operations that were started to contain the fire, the sunlight was a golden 70's Kodak orange and fine ash occassionally would rain down. All of this was happening whilst I gardened away! We weren't (aren't) under any immediate or real threat but it was an odd experience. Nero-esque!

Garlic tops flopped and leaves started to yellow so I pulled them up. I had hoped for bigger heads of garlic but at least the heads have separated into little cloves, rather than the original cloves just getting bigger. This made room for some tomato plants that I've grown from seed (started indoors) - Brandywine + Tigerella....I can't tell which is which....will have to wait until they fruit. Better labelling next time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered how you were going. The occasional glance West over the last few days has revealed plumes of smoke up over the hills, but unusually we can't smell it down here.

I just heard on the news that the fire had jumped the containment lines.

Make sure the hose is on standby!

7:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon Elliott! James' Mum asked if you were ok.

6:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home